Primary contactMoore Park, Surry Hills
Sydney, New South Wales 2010
Following Sir Henry Parkes' Education Act of 1880, the Government of the Colony of New South Wales decided to establish, under the control and administration of the Department of Public Instruction, a system of public high schools. The first of these were the two Sydney High Schools.
In 1883, the Boys School was officially opened in the Francis Greenway designed building constructed by convicts in Castlereagh Street, Sydney. The Boys School occupied the lower floor with its entrance in Castlereagh Street, while the Girls School had the upper floor and entered from Elizabeth Street.
The School has had three homes - Castlereagh Street, Mary Ann Street, Ultimo and Moore Park. Early in 1892 the boys moved to new premises in Mary Ann Street, Ultimo, the first building designed as a high school in any of the Australian colonies. In that year, too, the Old Boys Union was founded.
The present school was officially opened in 1928 now known as 'Moore Park'. The Girls School had moved to this location in 1921. Today at Sydney High, the original bear pits are silent reminders of its former role as a zoo.
Sydney Boys High School is an academically selective high school conducted by the New South Wales Department of Education.
For a school organisation chart, see http://www.sydneyboyshigh.com/school/organisation
Officer-in-charge of the Archives: Archivist
Accessioning, cataloguing and arranging new and existing items is a large and on-going process carried out by students and Old Boys, supported by an administrative assistant employed as Archivist for one day per week.
The school has an extensive collection of archive documents and materials relating to the school.
In order to provide easier public access to parts of the collections: