1. Click on the ‘Browse’ drop-down box (top left of screen) and select Archival institutions.
2. On the Archival institutions page, click on the Search archival institution box (Top centre of white part of screen)
• OR search (the default): eg if you enter National Archives of Australia, by default you retrieve entries that mention either National or Archives or Australia (retrieves 290 entries).
• AND search (must use uppercase AND): eg if you enter National AND Archives AND Australia you retrieve entries that have all three words (retrieves 37 entries).
• PHRASE search : use double quotes to search for a phrase, eg if you enter “National Archives of Australia” you will retrieve entries with those words in that order (retrieves 11 entries). This is useful for institution names with general words.
• Wildcard search :
o use an asterisk to find variations of keywords with a common stem, eg college* will retrieve entries with college and colleges;
o use an asterisk to find variations within a word, eg M*cPherson will retrieve entries with Macpherson and McPherson;
o use a question mark to replace a single character, eg organi?ation will retrieve entries with organisation or organization; (M?cPherson will retrieve MacPherson not McPherson).
View options (Top centre of white part of screen)
• Tiles – show Name of institution – the default.
• List – shows Name of institution, Region, Locality, Thematic area.
Sort by options (Top right of white part of screen)
Select from drop-down box:
• Alphabetic – by Name of institution – the default.
• Most recent – by Date the entry was entered or revised.
• Identifier – by daa/ number.
Advanced search options (Click on down arrows)
PLEASE NOTE : At present most entries do not have this data – so using these search options will eliminate most relevant entries from your search. The data will be entered progressively during March 2018 .
Narrow your results by (Left column)
PLEASE NOTE : At present most entries do not have this data – so using these search options will eliminate most relevant entries from your search. The data will be entered progressively during March 2018.
Search Tips prepared: 20 February 2018