Primary contactCorner of Anzac Parade and Cleveland Street, Surry Hills Postal address: PO Box 44 Surry Hills NSW 2010
Sydney, New South Wales 2010
Sydney Girls' High School is the oldest state girls' school in New South Wales.
It was established under the Education Act of 1880. In 1883, the Sydney Girls' and Boys' High Schools were opened in the Francis Greenway designed building in Elizabeth/ Castlereagh Streets. The Girls' School had the upper floor and entered from Elizabeth Street while the Boys' School occupied the lower floor with its entrance in Castlereagh Street.
In 1892 the boys moved to Ultimo and the girls had the building to themselves. Then in 1921 the Girls' School moved to its current location at Moore Park. For further information about the history of the school, see http://www.sghs.nsw.edu.au/About_Us/History.html
The Historic Resource Centre was set up by the Old Girls' Union in the school's centenary year in 1983. It is run entirely by volunteers from the Old Girls' Union. The union itself had been established in 1898. (See http://www.sghs.nsw.edu.au/Community/Old%20Girls.html)