The Women's College within the University of Sydney

Zone d'identification

Identifiant

daa/203

Forme autorisée du nom

The Women's College within the University of Sydney

Forme(s) parallèle(s) du nom

Autre(s) forme(s) du nom

  • Women's College, Sydney University

Type

  • Educational
  • Universitaire

Zone du contact

 

Archivist

Type

Adresse

Adresse physique

15 Carillion Avenue, Newtown

Localité

Sydney

Région

New South Wales

Nom du pays

Code postal

2042

Téléphone

02 9517 5016

Fax

Note

Zone de description

Historique

The Women’s College opened with four students in March 1892, eleven years after the Senate of the University of Sydney had resolved to admit women on an equal basis to men.

Unlike many of their contemporaries overseas (including the women of Oxford and Cambridge) who were allowed to study but not granted degrees, Australian women would graduate with the same qualifications as men.

The College’s first home was a rented house in Glebe. It moved to its own building within the University grounds in May 1894. Designed by the architectural firm of Sulman and Power, the College’s first permanent home still forms the heart of the present building complex and is heritage listed.

The College now accommodates 250 women undergraduates and 30 postgraduates.

Contexte géographique et culturel

The College operates within the boundaries of the University of Sydney.

Textes de référence

Structure administrative

The Archivist reports to the College Vice Principal. All access to the collection is by permission of the Vice Principal.

Gestion des archives courantes et intermédiaires et politiques de collecte

The history of The Women's College, its staff and students including their biographical details and careers.

Bâtiments

Fonds

The College Archives are located in the Vere Hole Resource Centre. They cover the full range of the College’s history, from its establishment in 1892 up to the present day. They also hold the personal papers of several of the College’s principals, including Louisa MacDonald (founding Principal) and Doreen Langley (Principal 1957-1974). The Archives reflect the life and work of the College, its residents, and its staff.

Instruments de recherche, guides et publications

The archival collection is catalogued using Archive Manager software, and is only accessible by the Archivist.

Zone de l'accès

Heures d'ouverture

Open Wednesdays only 9.30am-3.30pm, by appointment.

Conditions d'accès et d'utilisation

All access to the collection is by permission of the Vice Principal.

Accessibilité

Zone des services offerts

Services d'aide à la recherche

Services de reproduction

Espaces publics

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles et/ou conventions utilisées

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Revised 19 April 2018

Langue(s)

Écriture(s)

Sources

Notes relatives à la mise à jour de la notice

Mots-clés

Points d'accès

  • Éducation (Thematic area)
  • Genealogical (Thematic area)
  • Presse-papier

Contact principal

15 Carillion Avenue, Newtown
Sydney, New South Wales 2042