Primary contact234 Miller Street, North Sydney
Sydney, New South Wales 2060
The Stanton Library was named after James Street Stanton who was Mayor of North Sydney 1937-1939 and a keen supporter of the Free Library Movement (FLM).
The FLM began in response to a 1934 report that criticised the paucity of libraries in NSW. A branch was established shortly after in North Sydney. In 1938 Alderman Stanton advocated the levying of a special tax to subsidise the creation of council libraries in all suburbs. The provision of State subsidies for municipal or shire libraries was subsequently part of the 1939 Library Act. Stanton died in August 1943 and three months later North Sydney Council voted to create a library upon the cessation of the war. In 1945 it was decided to open the ‘Stanton Memorial Library’, as part of a new civic centre development.
There were delays in implementing the 1939 Library Act generally and delays locally in acquiring land to accommodate Stanton Memorial Library. The Stanton Library opened its doors on 8 February 1964.
The local history collection was established in 1974.
In 1987 the management of Don Bank and Sexton's Cottage Museums and the historic St Thomas' Rest Park undertaken by Local History staff. Also Merle Coppell began interviewing local residents. These and other recordings later become the Merle Coppell Oral History Collection.
In 1992, the North Sydney Council's historic archives were accessioned and made available to the public.
In 2004, the Heritage databases available on-line and in 2005 the North Sydney Heritage Centre was opened on the first floor of the library. In 2011 the Costume and object database was made available on-line.
In 2015, the historic archives were consolidated at one site.
For further information about history, see https://www.northsydney.nsw.gov.au/Library_Databases/Stanton_Library/History_Reports_Policies/Stanton_Library_History