The Catholic Diocese of Sandhurst was founded in 1874 from the Diocese of Melbourne.
Records and objects held in the Sandhurst Diocesan Archive predate the first Victorian gold rushes and originate with Rev Dr Henry Backhaus, the first priest of the Sandhurst Mission, founded in 1852. Items in the collection pertain to the people, places, activities and events that have shaped the memory and history of the diocese since 1852. These include the gold-rushes, immigration patterns, the land acts of 1865 and 1869 and the building of churches, presbyteries, schools and hospitals.
Geographical and cultural context
The geographical area of the Sandhurst diocese ranges over 45,000 square kilometres. It is located in Victoria and its borders (more or less), are the Murray River to the north and east, the Loddon River to the west and the Great Divide to the south.
Mandates/Sources of authority
Diocesan Archivist: The role of the Archives Office is to collect, preserve and manage historical material from all parts of the diocese so that the story of the diocese will be recorded and available to future generations.
Records management and collecting policies
Buildings: The archive is located at the Diocesan Chancery.
Ecclesiastical records, books, sacramental registers, photographs, vestments and other records and objects pertaining to the history of the Catholic Church at Sandhurst.
For further information, contact the Diocesan Archivist
Finding aids, guides and publications