Randwick and District Historical Society Inc. was founded in 1957 and aims to document the history of Randwick City including Randwick, Clovelly, Coogee, Kensington, Kingsford, Maroubra, Malabar, Matraville, La Perouse and nearby areas.
The Society's Management Committee includes: President, Hon. Secretary, Treasurer, Vice-President and members. The Society is affiliated with the Royal Australian Historical Society and the History Council of NSW.
Records management and collecting policies
History of Randwick City (Local Government Area including suburbs of Randwick, Clovelly, Gordons Bay, Coogee, The Spot, Lurline Bay, Maroubra, Malabar, Little Bay, La Perouse, Chifley, Yarra Bay, Phillip Bay, Matraville, Pagewood, Kingsford, Kensington, Centennial Park, and former suburbs of Little Coogee, South Kensington, Epsom, Lilyville, Bunnerong and Long Bay) covering social/political history and natural and built environment from pre-history to present day.
The Society's extensive collections are designed to document the history of Randwick City, including the Museum Collection, the Library and Research files.
Research Files include extensive material including photographs, ephemera, clippings, documents, realia, and reports relating to the history of Randwick City:
- the Aboriginal People of Australia and the Indigenous People of the district.
- people of interest in Randwick in areas of Sport, Arts, Politics, Commerce, Religion and Community Organisations.
- topical subjects such as Architecture, Art, the Environment, Migrant Groups, Motor Sport, Swimming, Racing, Rugby, Shipwrecks, Quarries, Cemeteries, Crime and Mystery,Transport.
- Randwick's districts - Coogee, Randwick, Clovelly, Maroubra, La Perouse, Matraville, Malabar, Long Bay, Chifley, Kingsford, Kensington, The Spot.
- Maps from 1770 including aerial maps, land sale posters from 1883, and Water Board Maps from 1896.
- Art including paintings, drawings, craft pieces etc.
- Photographs: an exhaustive photographic record of Randwick City from the dawn of photography in the 1850s through to the present day.
- Costume and Textiles: a range of costumes and textiles. The costume collection is regularly used in displays and exhibitions.