Primary contact23 Dequetteville Terrace, Kent Town
Adelaide, South Australia 5067
Prince Alfred College, founded in the nineteenth century, caters for boys from early learning through to senior years.
In the mid 1860s a group of individuals with the vision of a Methodist church school for boys met to progress their dream. Fundraising breakfasts were held in the Methodist Meeting Hall and men and women who shared the vision of the founders pledged their support, enabling the purchase of land at Kent Town.
The foundation stone of the main building was laid by HRH Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, second son of Queen Victoria, during his 1867 visit to South Australia. The Prince agreed to the request to name the College in his honour, a departure from the proposed name of Wesley College, and for a short time it was known as Prince Alfred Wesleyan College.
The first students commenced at Prince Alfred College in 1869.
A feature of Prince Alfred College is the historic main building, which was built in three sections. The central section was ready for use in 1869 and housed offices, teaching areas, a residence for the Headmaster, and accommodation for boarders, who have been an important aspect of the College’s entire history.
The Waterhouse Wing (south) was added and increased the boarding accommodation as well as providing an assembly room, and a science laboratory.
Later, the Colton Wing (north) further expanded boarding space and teaching areas. The Main Building was completed in 1889.
For further information about the history of the school, see https://pac.edu.au/about/history/