Primary contactForrest Hill, South Yarra
Melbourne, Victoria 3141
Melbourne High School commenced as the Melbourne Continuation School in Spring Street Melbourne in 1905. It was the first state secondary school in Victoria and was co-educational. It was renamed Melbourne High School in 1910. The boys moved to Forrest Hill, South Yarra in 1927 and the girls eventually moved to Albert Park and became MacRobertson Girls' High School.
The collection is mainly post-1927 but does have significant records relating to the 1905-1927 period. The collection does NOT include MacRobertson Girls' High School records.
Originally located in Spring Street Melbourne (between Parliament and the Exhibition Buildings), with annexes at the Horticultural Hall and Lygon Street State School (now VicRoads, opposite the General Cemetery), the school moved to Forrest Hill South Yarra (beside the Yarra/Chapel Street).
The school moved to Camberwell High School and Tooronga Road State School for three years during World War II. The school has had a camp at Tecoma from the1920s to the 1980s and then at Millgrove.
Full student registers, most student reports, school publications (such as 'Ours' and 'Unicorn') as well as a large photographic collection, uniforms, badges and books.
The school archives are mainly those created by the school but relevant documents, photographs and memorabilia from former students and staff will be accepted.