Primary contactLot 2922, Gorge Road, Katherine 0850 Postal address: PO Box 93, Katherine 0851
Katherine, Northern Territory 0850
The Katherine Museum has been in operation since 21 April 1985. It is a not for profit organisation, run by The Historical Society of Katherine Ltd. It is sponsored by the Katherine Town Council, The Katherine Club and the Northern Territory Government.
The Katherine Museum works in partnership with the Stolen Generation of Katherine to create a healing garden used on special occasions and for healing and reflection. Many stories of the Traditional Custodians are shared in the Clyde Fenton Gallery.
The museum building was the passenger terminal and air radio building for the Katherine Aerodrome. It was used for 30 years from 1945 until the aerodrome officially closed in 1975. Services were moved in that year to the present site at Tindal.
With the initiation of a new museum building, there will be a resource room, archive facility and temperature controlled collection keeping area.
The Katherine Museum has a wide range of collections that have been donated to the museum from 1972 to present day.
Material held includes, for example, documents, photographs, audiovisual collections (such as oral histories and documentaries) and a large collection of historical books for reference.
Holdings relate to Katherine history, for example:
The Museum has a large collection of historical books for reference and, if prior arrangements are made, for certain topics relevant books can be available for viewing when you visit.
An application form should be filled out for permission to publish from collections.