Primary contactMenzies Building, 2 Fellows Road, Acton
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
In 1946 the Bill establishing the Australian National University was passed by Federal Parliament and in 1950 the first academic staff members arrived to take up their appointments.
In 1957 the Mt Stromlo Observatory formally became part of the ANU through association with the Department of Astronomy in the Research School of Physical Sciences.
The ANU amalgamated with Canberra University College in 1960 and the College (which had enrolled its first students in 1930) became the School of General Studies and undergraduates became part of ANU life for the first time.
In 1965 the Australian Forestry School, which had been established in Canberra since 1927, accepted its first students as a department in the University's Faculty of Science.
The University Archives was established in 1998.
For further information about the history of the Australian National University, see http://archives.anu.edu.au/collections/university-archives/history-anu