The School Archives were established in 1981 to facilitate research into the School's history.
Sydney Grammar School is an independent secular school for boys and is one of the oldest schools in Australia. It teaches boys from pre-school to senior school. Its ancestor, the Sydney Public Free Grammar School, opened in 1825. It was replaced Sydney College which commenced in 1835 in a new building in College Street - but it closed in 1850. Sydney Grammar School was founded by Act of Parliament in 1854 so that that the fledgling University of Sydney should have a 'nursery' to provide it with well prepared undergraduates.
The re-founded school's work commenced in 1857, in the College Street buildings and has remained here ever since. More recently, Preparatory Schools at St Ives and Paddington have been established, and the school takes boys each year from these two institutions.
Geografische en culturele context
Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid
Officer in charge: Archivist – Bridget Minatel
Records management and collecting policies
Material relevant to the School, its operations, environment and community including documents, memorabilia, photographs and publications.