Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar School is a private girls school that caters for girls from Early Learning to Year 12.
Strathcona was established in 1924 by Mrs Florence Livingstone and Miss Henrietta Hughes, with a small number of pupils, both boys and girls. Between 1940 and 1942, the school was leased by Miss Bessie Sweetland. In 1942, the Baptist Union of Victoria purchased the school to be used as a school for girls, and has managed it since.
In 1970, the school purchased 'Tay Creggan' in Yarra Street Hawthorn. This is the school's Year 9 campus.
It is the earliest Baptist girls school in Australia.
Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid
Officer in charge: Glen Turnbull (archivist)
Records management and collecting policies
The history of the school as an independent non-denominational school (1924-1942) and as a Baptist Girls Grammar School (since 1943).
Photographs, magazines, administrative records, ephemera, artwork and academic records from 1924. Most school photographs and school magazines from 1924 until the mid 1970s have been scanned, and are available following an email request.
Toegangen, gidsen en publicaties
The school publishes the annual magazine, the Strathconian, at the end of every year. The school also publishes the StrathCourier magazine, and this is published at the end of every term.
Open Tuesday afternoons during the school term time.
Raadpleegvoorwaarden en -eisen
Wheelchair access is provided.
Research requests should be made in writing before you visit the school.
Identificatie van de beschrijving
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Toegepaste regels en/of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Revised 14 April 2018
Education (Thematic area)
34 Scott Street, Canterbury Melbourne, Victoria 3126