Contact principal215 Forbes Street, Darlinghurst
Sydney, New South Wales 2010
In founding Sydney Church of England Girls' Grammar School, Darlinghurst in 1895, the then Sydney Diocese of the Church of England planned a network of Church of England High Schools. In time, this was to lead to the SCEGGS Council founding or purchasing a number of 'branch schools’, including:
In late October 1976, it was announced that SCEGGS Darlinghurst would close at the end of the year. On hearing of the closure, a meeting of parents and Old Girls was organised to help save SCEGGS Darlinghurst. The School community rallied and within weeks, with the support of the Anglican Church, enough money had been raised to allow the School to remain open.
As part of the rescue, a company, SCEGGS Darlinghurst Ltd, was created. It bought the School site on 30 March 1977. This company continues to own the site and operate the School. Its Board is made up of two Old Girls nominated by the Old Girls’ Union, representatives of the Company – usually parents or former parents, and up to four Diocesan representatives, giving a maximum of 12 Board members.
The Archives collects SCEGGS Darlinghurst historical and administrative records, photographs, audiovisual material and memorabilia.
The Archives also collects material associated with:
Records associated with:
Records relating to the general administration, staff, students and everyday life of SCEGGS Darlinghurst and other former SCEGGS schools from 1895.
These records include administrative records, school publications, photographic collections, oral history recordings, audiovisual footage and a wide range of memorabilia including students’ works, letters, autograph books, artworks and uniforms.