Primary contactRetreat Road, Newtown
Geelong, Victoria 3220
Sacred Heart College, Geelong is a Catholic secondary school for girls with its origins in the nineteenth century.
In 1859 Dr James Alipius Goold, first Catholic Bishop of Melbourne visited the Sisters of Mercy Baggot Street convent in Dublin to request a community of sisters for Geelong. In December a group of Sisters arrived in Geelong. Finding nothing prepared for their arrival, the sisters stayed at St Augustine's Orphanage at Newtown (now St Joseph's College).
In March 1860 the Sisters opened the school at Sunville, Mercer's Hill. In April the Sisters placed an advertisement in the Geelong Advertiser announcing that they have opened a day school at their Mercer's Hill Convent.
The College was established as a girls' college, however boys were enrolled during the 1950s to 1970s. The last boarders and boys were enrolled at Sacred Heart College in 1975.