Redlands, Sydney

Identity area

Identifier

daa/173

Authorized form of name

Redlands, Sydney

Parallel form(s) of name

Other form(s) of name

  • College for Girls, 1884-1899
  • College for Girls, Redlands, 1899-1911
  • Redlands, 1911-1945
  • Sydney Church of England Girls' Grammar School (SCEGGS) Redlands, 1945-1976
  • Sydney Church of England Co-Educational Grammar School (SCECGS) Redlands, 1976-2006

Type

  • Educational

Contact area

 

Marguerite Gillezeau

Type

Address

Street address

272 Military Road, Cremorne

Locality

Sydney

Region

New South Wales

Country name

Postal code

2090

Telephone

02 9968 9824

Fax

Note

Description area

History

Established in 1884 by Elizabeth Liggins and Clara Arnold as one of the first non-denominational girls' schools on Sydney's Lower North Shore, Redlands has undergone several changes including a fifty year period - it was a girls' boarding school (with boys in the Prep School) from the 1890s to early 1940s, then an all girls' Anglican day school from the mid-1940s to the mid-1970s. Redlands has been a co-educational Anglican day school since 1978.

The school was established in Fitzroy Street, Milson's Point but moved to its current location on Military Road, Cremorne in September 1899. Misses Liggins and Arnold bought 'Redlands', originally built by Gerard Phillips and took the name for their school. The original house, 'Redlands' was demolished in 1936. In 1989, the school purchased the former site of Cremorne Girls' High School on Murdoch Street, Cremorne. The campus, occupied by the Junior and Middle School, was opened in 1990. The site is now occupied by the Preparatory and Junior Schools with the entire Senior School (Years 7 to 12) located on the Military Road campus.

In the mid-1990s, Redlands acquired its High Country Campus at Jindabyne where its Winter School is held each year in Term 3.

Geographical and cultural context

Mandates/Sources of authority

Administrative structure

The archives, established in the 1960s has been managed by professional archives staff since the mid-1980s.

Records management and collecting policies

Buildings

The archives is located in Monford Place, adjacent to the Senior School campus.

Holdings

The archives collection falls into two categories:

  • the official records of the school, and
  • material donated to the School, mostly by alumni and former staff members.

Both categories of records exist in the following format based collections, a significant proportion of which has been digitised.
Paper based records including:

  • Board minutes, correspondence, school records including Admission Registers from 1946, students’ schoolwork, prize lists from 1912 (digitised) and records relating to associations and groups, including alumni records from 1909.

School publications including:

  • Lux magazine, 1915– present (incomplete) digitised from 1954–2013
  • The Redlander magazine, 1910–1944, digitised
  • annual reports, 1946– present, digitised
  • books about Redlands or written by or about former Redlands’ students
  • numerous other publications produced by the Foundation and Alumni, including the Redlands Journal and Redlands Life, 1984–2014, digitised
  • student newspapers, including Redelations, 1985–2002

Photographs, consisting of more than 80, 000 images, dating from 1899, currently in the process of being digitised.
Artwork, mostly by staff and students.
Audiovisual records including sound and film recordings, dating from 1934.
Architectural plans.
Uniforms.
Memorabilia and museum artefacts.
Ephemera, including programs and posters, 1899- present.
Newspaper clippings, including over 80 articles and advertisements relating to College for Girls and Redlands from the 19th and early 20th centuries, pre 1910 including the school’s first advertisement in 1884, available online through Trove.
A Draft Register of Students, 1884–1945, listing alumni who attended College for Girls and Redlands before 1946, has been compiled. It incorporates all the known students who attended the school. It includes years at school, references in the school magazines and prize lists, and in any photographs held in the collection, family connections to current and past students and also biographical information about after school careers where known. It is an invaluable resource for biographers and family historians and is constantly being updated.

Finding aids, guides and publications

Finding aids are currently not publicly accessible.
Published school history, primarily reminiscences relating to the period, 1911-1965: 'Redlands in Retrospect' 1st ed, 1983, Ronald Dunlop and Myrtle Gillham; 2nd ed, 1990, Ronald Dunlop, Myrtle Gillham and Joanne Birkl.

Access area

Opening times

Open Monday, Thursday and Friday, 10am-4pm by appointment.

Access conditions and requirements

Appointment essential.

Accessibility

On the second floor of building with no lift.

Services area

Research services

Reference enquiries welcome, with research leading to publication requiring written permission from the Principal.
Limited onsite reading room facilities available.

Reproduction services

Public areas

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Revised 11 April 2018

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Access points

Access Points

  • Education (Thematic area)
  • Local Studies (Thematic area)
  • Clipboard

Primary contact

272 Military Road, Cremorne
Sydney, New South Wales 2090