Contacto principal200 Stanmore Road, Stanmore
Sydney, New South Wales 2048
Newington College is a school associated with the Uniting Church in Australia providing a liberal education to boys from all backgrounds, denominations and faiths.
It is a GPS (Great Public Schools) boys’ school catering for students from Kindergarten to Year 12, operating across three distinct campuses: the Secondary campus at Stanmore and the Wyvern House (Stanmore) and Lindfield Preparatory campuses. In 2018 the College expanded to include a co-educational Early Learning Centre at the Wyvern House campus in Stanmore.
While most students are day boys, the College also has a Boarding House for senior boys on the Wyvern House campus.
The College was established in 1863 by the Wesleyan Methodist Church at Newington House, Silverwater on the Parramatta River. In 1880 the College moved to its present main (Secondary) campus at Stanmore in Sydney’s Inner West.
The College celebrated its Sesquicentenary (150th anniversary) in 2013.
For more information about the College’s history see https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/about-newington/history/
The College’s inaugural professional archivist was appointed in 2009.
Newington College is governed by a Council, established in 1866. Prior to that the Education Committee of the Wesleyan Methodist Church in New South Wales performed the role of a council.
In 1922 the Council was incorporated under a private Act of Parliament. Members are elected by the New South Wales Synod of the Uniting Church in Australia and comprise clerical and lay members, including representatives of the College’s old boys.
In the nineteenth century, under the ‘dual system of control’, the College was led by a President, always an ordained minister, with the educational programs in the charge of a ‘Head Master’ reporting to the President. Since 1900 these roles have been combined in that of Headmaster.
While the College had included a preparatory (junior) school since the late nineteenth century, a separate Preparatory School, named Wyvern House, was established in 1938. It remained on the main campus until 1998, when it moved to a new campus in nearby Cambridge Street, Stanmore. A second Preparatory School was established at Killara, on Sydney’s North Shore, in 1957. It moved to its present campus at nearby Lindfield in 1967.
The College’s archives program is governed by an Archives Policy adopted by the College Council in 2009.
The College Archives is the recognised custodian of archival resources from all campuses and departments of the College, from the College Council and its committees, from controlled or related entities (including the Old Newingtonians’ Union, other alumni bodies, the Newington Foundation, the Parents’ and Friends’ Association, other parent support groups, and student bodies), and from individuals associated with the College and the Newington community.
The Archives acquires records and other material for inclusion in the archives collection primarily through systematic and regular transfer. The Archives also accepts donations of records, objects or other materials from other sources, such as old boys and former staff, on the basis of the materials’ assessed significance to the College and the Newington community.
If you would like to donate material, please use the ‘Contact the Archivist’ form on the page: https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/about-newington/history/archives/ .
Key holdings include minutes of the College Council and committees from 1866, admission registers from 1863, student records, architectural plans, land title documents and principal publications, such as the school magazine (now annual), The Newingtonian, from 1884.
Records are in hard copy and digital forms. In addition to textual documents, publications and ephemera, holdings include photographs, moving images and sound recordings. Physical formats include paper and magnetic, film and optical media. Objects include uniform items, trophies, badges, and teaching and sporting equipment.
Physical holdings occupy approximately 200 linear metres.
Brief information about the College Archives is available online at: https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/about-newington/history/archives/
Finding aid outputs from the College’s collection management system can be provided on request. Some digitised archival material, notably issues of The Newingtonian, is available via the above page. More digitised material is available on Newington Spaces, the College’s communication portal for parents, students and staff.
The College maintains its archives collection for the purposes of the College and for use within the College and the Newington community.
Enquiries are welcome from members of the Newington community and beyond. For this service, a donation of $30 is requested. An additional amount may be requested if the enquiry requires substantial research or copying costs.
Reproduction and use of material in the archives collection must respect and protect the intellectual property rights, such as copyright, of the College and of third parties. People seeking to use archival material may be required to agree to conditions to protect these rights.
People wishing to use the College’s archives should contact the College Archivist before making arrangements to visit.
Information about the location and transport options for visiting the College’s Stanmore 7–12 campus is available online at: https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/about-newington/locations-and-transport/ .
Wheelchair access is available throughout the campus.
Visitors to the Archives must sign in at Reception, located in the foyer of the Founders Building.
Reference advice is available from the College Archivist.
Please use the ‘Contact the Archivist’ form at https://www.newington.nsw.edu.au/about-newington/history/archives/ or contact the Archivist by mail, email or telephone using the contact details above.
Copying services are available for a fee for books, journals and original records to A3 size.
Researchers can use their own camera to photograph standard sized records with permission.