There is an extensive collection of local history and family files in the library and record room, covering:
- Family history
- History of the Macleay Valley
- District history
- Local newspapers
- Cemetery records
More specifically, for example:
- NSW Council of Education: Correspondence, 1875- ; Schools local, 1850- .
- Society files: Aboriginal studies, 1890- ; Shipping, 1837- ; Family histories, 1837- ; Timber industry, 1836- ; John Verge, 1837- ; Articles on Macleay River, 1821- ; Maritime history, 1836- .
- Macleay Argus Newspaper: Files, 1885-1994 (gaps). These files are on microfilm.
- Macleay Chronicle: Files, 1899-1919 complete. Further files available. These files are on microfilm.
- Department of Lands: Parish maps.
- Irvine Davis files: Family and local histories, 1859- .
- Major Lionel Rudder: Enoch William Rudder, 1836- .
The photographic collection, covering history on the Macleay from 1830 to the present, includes more than 40,000 images and photographs, most of which are fully catalogued and cross-referenced.