The Young Historical Museum, formerly known as the Lambing Flat Folk Museum, is run by the Young Historical Society Inc.
The society was formed in 1958 following a public meeting called by the Mayor of Young at the request of the Young Municipal Council. The society commenced to collect historical material to form the nucleus of a museum. Initially items were displayed in a room at the South West Library. In 1967 the museum moved to the old Presbyterian Church building, on the corner of Lynch and Marina Streets. Later the museum moved to its current location in the Community Arts Centre, Young.
Geografische en culturele context
At the Young Historical Museum you will discover the history of the Burrangong goldfields and the contributions of the many miners and their families who came from all over the world to make Young what it is today. While it was gold that attracted people in 1860, it was the rich soil that encouraged them to stay. The Museum houses the original ‘Roll Up No Chinese’ banner which was carried at the head of the procession of European miners as they drove the Chinese miners from their camps at Sawpit Gully and Back Creek during the infamous Lambing Flat anti-Chinese riots. There are also items from Chinese Australians who remained or came to the town after the riots. Also on display, is the breastplate of Coborn Jackey, a leader of the Burrowmunditory group of the Wiradjuri. He received this breastplate from James White who was one of the area’s first white settlers in the 1830s.
Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid
Records management and collecting policies
Primarily a folk museum.
The Museum is divided into several themed rooms:
From Burrangong to Young: The legacy of gold – devoted to the Gold Rush, Lambing Flat anti-Chinese riots (1860-61) and its legacies for Young and Australia. The historical Roll Up banner, as well as mining implements and Barney from the Diggers’ Arms Theatre are housed in this room.
Schools – photographs, exercise books and old school furniture from schools around Young and district. We have some lists of teachers and student names and are gathering more.
War – Honour Boards and items relating to servicemen and women from the Young and district during the Boer War, World War I and World War II.
Specialty areas include the display of dental equipment, hairdressing and John Rogan’s 1880s buggy. Other significant items on display include a bible which once belonged to bushranger Frank Gardiner, Aboriginal tools and art, and a collection of art from world-reknowned glass artist Helmut Hiebl who lived at Murringo. There is a large display of textiles to view including Elizabeth Witham’s 1826 sampler, Christening and Wedding gowns, and a beaded Flapper Dress from the 1920s.
Toegangen, gidsen en publicaties
Open Tuesday to Saturday 10am-4pm. Closed Good Friday, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Raadpleegvoorwaarden en -eisen
Entry fees apply. The fees may change from time to time.
Access is available for wheelchairs.
Reference advice is available for a fee.
Photocopies and copies of photographs are available at a cost.
Identificatie van de beschrijving
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Toegepaste regels en/of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Revised 20 March 2023
Defence (Thematic area)
Family / Domestic Life (Thematic area)
Immigration (Thematic area)
Indigenous (Thematic area)
Industry, Manufacturing and Commerce (Thematic area)
Local Studies (Thematic area)
2 Campbell Street, Young Young, New South Wales 2594