Primary contactRoom 011, Ground Floor, Ken Back Building, James Cook University, Townsville
Townsville, Queensland 4811
In 1957, Professor John Douglas Story, Vice Chancellor of the University of Queensland proposed a regional university college be established to cater to the people of North Queensland. State Cabinet announced in 1960 that a University College would be established at Townsville under the auspices of the University of Queensland: the University College of Townsville was opened in 1961.
After proclamation of the James Cook University of North Queensland Act 1970 (Qld), the University College of Townsville became James Cook University of North Queensland on 29 April 1970.
In 1982, James Cook University amalgamated with the Townsville College of Advanced Education (formerly the Townsville Teacher’s College). The university established a presence in Cairns in 1987.
In 1991, the School of Art and Design of the Townsville, College of Technical and Further Education was transferred to James Cook University.
In 2003 the University opened an international campus in Singapore. The university further expanded its presence by establishing another campus in Brisbane, Queensland in 2006.
For further history, see https://www.jcu.edu.au/about-jcu/history/brief-history-of-jcu