Records management and collecting policies
The Good Samaritan Sisters’ Archives contain the records generated by the Sisters and institutions, such as schools, orphanages, women’s refuges and homes for the aged and disadvantaged, for which the Sisters were and are responsible in Australia, Japan, Kiribati and the Philippines.
These holdings include:
In-house documents from the administrative offices of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan;
Documents relating to institutions for which the Sisters of the Good Samaritan are responsible;
Admission registers and other documents relating to:
- Pitt Street Women’s Refuge Sydney (House of the Good Shepherd), 1857-1901
- Parramatta Roman Catholic Orphan School, 1877-1886
- Manly Industrial School/Orphanage, 1881-1910
- St Magdalen’s Retreat, Tempe, Arncliffe, 1887-1989
- Buckingham Street, St Magdalen’s Refuge, 1903-1946
- Good Samaritan Teachers’ Training College, 1905-1983
- Mater Dei Orphanage, Narellan, 1910-1958
- Crystal Brook Orphanage/Shelter, SA, 1940-1979.
Photographs, films, slides, videos, memorabilia relating to the above;
Theses and private publications of Good Samaritan Sisters.
Finding aids, guides and publications
Guide to Good Samaritan Generalate Archives, Glebe Point, Sydney NSW
Trower, Ursula, Guide to Visitors Book of R C Orphan School Parramatta, 1863-1886
McGlynn and Trower, Guide to Photographic collection - Good Samaritan Generalate Archives
McGlynn and Trower, Guide to Registers RC Orphan School, Parramatta, Tempe Women's Refuge, Manly Industrial School/Orphanage
McGlynn and Trower, Guide to Foundation and Associated Ministries of SGS
McGlynn, Marie, 'Growth of Religious Institute' Tjurunga. Benedictine Union of Australian and New Zealand, Vol 39 (Sept, 1990): 90-111.