Primary contact1A Waltham Street, Coogee
Sydney, New South Wales 2034
MSC stands for Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. The initials MSC come from the Latin, Missionarii Sacratissimi Cordis, (Missionnaires du Sacre Coeur in French), the name of the Religious Congregation founded by Fr. Jules Chevalier at Issoudun, France in 1854. It is an international order of Brothers and Priests within the Catholic Church numbering about 1900 working in over 55 countries, on six continents.
The MSC first came to Sydney from France in 1885, in order to establish a supply base for their new missions in New Guinea that had been founded in 1882 near Rabaul, on the island of New Britain.
The MSC originally settled in the Eastern suburbs of the expanding city of Sydney. Within a few years the congregation began to accept local Australian vocations and a mission seminary was established at the Sacred Heart Monastery, Kensington (opened 1897). The foundation continued to grow and within a few years a separate MSC Australian Province was established in 1905 with Father Pierre Marie Treand as the first Provincial.