The Society, formed in the 1980s, has accumulated archives for over 40 years. Areas of interest include aviation, mining, local government, railways and the archives of Dr David Harvey-Sutton.
Geographical and cultural context
Cloncurry was first named by Burke and Wills. Copper was discovered in 1861 by Mr Ernest Henry. The town was laid out 1876. It was a stopping point for some of the great air races and was the destination for the first QANTAS commercial flight on 3 November 1922. John Flynn started the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Cloncurry. Dame Mary Gilmore is buried in here with her husband. The remarkable late Dr David Harvey-Sutton practised here for 40 years. Cloncurry remains a centre for mining and the grazing industry as well as being an important transport hub.
Mandates/Sources of authority
The Society is incorporated.
President, Treasurer, Secretary, Archivist.
Records management and collecting policies
Acquisition and preservation.
Large building adjacent to the Cloncurry Council owned Information Centre and Cloncurry Unearthed Museum. There is a specially insulated archives room within the building.
Areas of interest include aviation, mining, local government, railways and holdings include, for example:
- Dr David Harvey-Sutton archives
- Sutton Cloncurry Shire Council material including Mt Isa Queensland Ambulance for Cloncurry/Mt Isa
- Cloncurry Electricity Authority material
- Genealogical histories
Finding aids, guides and publications
Finding aids and guides are being developed as the full extent of the archives is being recorded. In the 1990s the Society Newsletters were published.