Primary contact349 Barkers Road, Kew
Melbourne, Victoria 3101
Carey was founded in 1923 with the support of the Baptist Union of Victoria, initially as a day and boarding school for boys. The school is named in honour of Revd. Dr William Carey, a Baptist missionary and self-taught language scholar who dedicated much of his life to humanitarian work in India in the eighteenth century.
In 1957 Carey was invited to join the Associated Public Schools of Victoria (APS) and students now compete in both the APS and Associated Grammar Schools (AGS) sporting competitions.
Girls were enrolled for the first time in 1979, initially in Years 11 and 12. From 1986, girls were enrolled in all year levels of the school. The school caters for students in Early Learning Centre, Junior, Middle and Senior Schools.
The School Archives is geared to documenting and preserving school records from Carey's Foundation Day, 13 February 1923, covering the history and heritage of the school.
The archives accepts significant private papers and memorabilia from past students and staff.