Canberra Girls Grammar School

Área de identidad

Identificador

daa/493

Forma autorizada del nombre

Canberra Girls Grammar School

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

  • St Gabriel’s School, Canberra, 1926-1933
  • Canberra Church of England Girls’ Grammar School, 1933-2001
  • CGGS

Tipo

  • Educational

Área de contacto

 

Archivist

Tipo

Dirección

Dirección (calle)

Melbourne Avenue, Deakin

Localidad

Canberra

Región

Australian Capital Territory

Nombre del país

Código postal

2600

Teléfono

02 6202 6457

Fax

Correo electrónico

Notas

Área de descripción

Historia

Canberra Girls Grammar School (CGGS) is an independent non-selective Anglican school with its origins in the 1920s and a current enrolment of approximately 1 600 students. Spread over two campuses, the school is co-educational from Early Learning to Year 2 and girls only from Years 3 to 12. Boarding facilities are available for girls in Years 7 to 12.

In 1926 St Gabriel’s School was opened with just 10 pupils, as the first federal Parliament House was nearing completion. Housed in the old St John’s Rectory (Glebe House), the Anglican Community of the Sisters of the Church had answered a request from Bishop Radford of the then Diocese of Goulburn, who saw a need for such a school in the small community designated as the new federal capital.

In May 1927, Dr Radford laid the foundation stone of the mock Tudor building which today comprises the Boarding House on Melbourne Avenue - just one day before the opening of Parliament House by the Duke and Duchess of York.

The school came close to shutting down during the great depression due to hardship in the rural community which supplied much of its enrolment. However, it was rescued by the determination of Canon Robertson, and later by a dedicated group of parents and friends, who purchased the school from the Sisters in 1935. St Gabriel’s had been renamed the Canberra Church of England Girls’ Grammar School in 1933. The school was renamed Canberra Girls' Grammar School in 2001. The apostrophe was dropped in 2012, so now the school is ‘Canberra Girls Grammar School’.

The School Archives were established in 1987 to serve the needs of Canberra's oldest independent school.

In 1995, the Archives moved to a purpose-built facility and, with enhanced storage capacity in 2012, the collection continues to grow.

Contexto geográfico y cultural

Mandatos/Fuentes de autoridad

Estructura administrativa

Officer-in-charge: Archivist

Administración de registros y políticas de recolección

The Archives collects and preserves records relating to the School and its associated bodies. Donations of items are always welcome.

Edificios

Fondos

The collection consists of the School’s official records from 1926, photographic and uniform collections and school memorabilia.

Instrumentos de descripción, guías y publicaciones

Área de acceso

Horario de apertura

The Archivist may be contacted Monday to Friday on 6202 6457 or by email.

Condiciones de acceso y requisitos

In writing to Principal or Archivist.

Accesibilidad

Área de servicios

Servicios para la investigación

Servicios de reproducción

Áreas públicas

Área de control

Identificador de la descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

Estado de elaboración

Nivel de detalle

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Idioma(s)

Escritura(s)

Fuentes

Notas de mantención

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso

  • Educación (Thematic area)
  • Religión (Thematic area)
  • Portapapeles

Contacto principal

Melbourne Avenue, Deakin
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2600