Brisbane Grammar School

Identity area



Authorized form of name

Brisbane Grammar School

Parallel form(s) of name

Other form(s) of name


  • Educational

Contact area





Street address

Gregory Terrace, Brisbane





Country name

Postal code



07 3834 5725



Description area


Brisbane Grammar School is an independent, non-denominational day and boarding school for boys, catering for boys in Years 5 to 12. The school is a member of the Queensland Great Public Schools (GPS) Association.

​​​​​The Grammar Schools' Act, passed by the new Queensland Government in 1860, provided for the establishment of secondary education in the state. By 1868, public subscribers had raised enough money to enable the establishment of the school, Brisbane's first Grammar School and the first independent boys school. In that same year, Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, laid the foundation stone at the School's original site in Roma Street. The school opened in February 1869.

In 1881 the school was moved to its present site in Gregory Terrace, Brisbane. With the opening of the boarding house in 1886, the school became one of the first to provide unified boarding facilities on site.

Brisbane Grammar School houses one of the most comprehensive and cohesive school archives in Australia. The collection documents the life and culture of a school that has played a pivotal role in Queensland society and education since the colonial era, and contains material predating the establishment of Brisbane Grammar School in 1868. (See

Geographical and cultural context

Mandates/Sources of authority

Administrative structure

Officer in charge: Archivist

Records management and collecting policies

Brisbane Grammar School is committed to retaining, preserving, and expanding the collection as it relates to the school. This will ensure the Archives remain a valuable and relevant resource for the school community and general public to access – Old Boys, their families, current and future generations of students and staff – as well as bone fide researchers.

Please contact the School Archivist if you have donations to the collection.


The School Archives are located in a purpose-designed facility on the basement level of the state-of-the-art Lilley Centre. The Archives comprises a reading area for researchers and visitors, a work area and a secure facility for storing and preserving valuable material.


The collection, some of which is of national significance, includes official school records, handwritten publications, photographs, magazines, books, medals, trophies, badges, uniform attire, furniture, artworks, prizes, architectural drawings, oral histories and war memorabilia.

School records, photographs and books are housed in the School Archives, whereas many of the artefacts are on permanent display around the school, including the heritage-listed War Memorial Library, Great Hall and Roe Building.

Finding aids, guides and publications

Access area

Opening times

By appointment with the School Archivist.

Access conditions and requirements


Services area

Research services

Research enquiries are welcome.

Reproduction services

Limited copying services available.

Public areas

Control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

Access points

Access Points

  • Education (Thematic area)
  • Clipboard

Primary contact

Gregory Terrace, Brisbane
Brisbane, Queensland 4000