Contacto principal216 Maroubra Road, Maroubra
Sydney, New South Wales 2035
In 1883, Bishop Murray of Maitland diocese, requested Brigidine sisters from Ireland to assist with education. Six sisters from Mountrath set sail for Australia to found the first Brigidine convent in Coonamble, New South Wales. From there other foundations were made in the Dioceses of Sydney, Bathurst, Canberra Goulburn, Perth and Brisbane.
In 1886 a second Australian foundation was established in Echuca, Victoria, with the Sisters coming direct from Tullow. This foundation was at the request of Dr. Crane OSA, Bishop of Sandhurst. This was followed by a group from the Abbeyleix community to Beechworth, Victoria in November of that same year when Dean Tierney of Beechworth made the request to Dr. Crane of Sandhurst. Sisters from Goresbridge established a convent and school in Wangaratta, Victoria in 1887. A combined group from Abbeyleix and Goresbridge went to Ararat in 1888, Victoria. Amalgamation of all the Brigidine foundations took place in 1889. (See https://brigidine.org.au/about-us/our-story/)
For a list of schools that the schools in Australia that the Brigidine sisters have been involved in, see: https://brigidine.org.au/our-focus/education/australia/
For Brigidine archives, see https://brigidine.org.au/about-us/our-archives/